Bottleworks Loft Condominiums

Converted less than 10-years ago, it was again transformed into 58 gorgeous loft condominiums along with one generous commercial space on the ground level; currently home to the popular MOODS salon & spa. 

One of only a handful of downtown residential opportunities in the Cedar Rapids area, inclusive of 'at your doorstep' access to the exciting, ever-evolving artistic New Bohemia neighborhood; Bottleworks helped to set the bar for Urban Living with  classic loft design & attention to detail paired with long term investment potential, still prominent in today's marketplace.

Tom Petersen

Board Director

Jeff Ehman

Treasurer

Ray Johnston

Secretary

Ron Lower

President

Chuck Peters

Vice President

Current Board members:

Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, the Bottleworks Loft Condos have a rich history in the Cedar Rapids area.  Prior to 1923, the land was the location of a children's playground servicing the old Monroe Elementary Schoold (dating to 1873) which stood at 921 Third Street SE..


In the mid 1920's,  the old school was converted to a warehouse for the Witwer Grocery Co. owned by grocery wholesaler Weaver Witwer.  The school was later demolished to create a green space now known as New Bohemia Park.


Plans for a half-million dollar food warehouse were unveiled in March 1945.  Once the building moratorium of World War II was lifted, the Witwer Wholesale Grocery Company's new warehouse was the first major commercial structure to be built in Cedar Rapids.  It was completed in 1946.

Originally a Me Too Supermarket warehouse, Witwer used the facility to house a variety of modern food processing operations as well as packaging facilities, cold storage areas, bottling works and general warehouse space.


The Life Beverage Company, a complete soda pop/soft drink operations, was established on the street level of the warehouse.  People passing by could see the bottlingworks in action.  Soda pop brands manufactured here included Life Cola, Hires Root Beer and Red Rock Cola.


Weaver Witwer retired in 1963 and Witwer's wholesale grocery operations ceased here in the mid 1960's.  From then until the early 1990's the building was used for a variety of warehouse purposes including grocery warehousing for other companies.